Eye Disease Care at ProEye
Various eye diseases can cause everything from irritation to blindness. Fortunately, you and your loved ones can rely on the expert care from Dr. Keith Watson and the entire ProEye team. We can diagnose and treat such common afflictions as:
- Cataracts - Cataracts are cloudy clumps of proteins in the lens that obscure vision, usually progressing slowly over many years. UV exposure, smoking and other factors may hasten their growth. We can recommend smart practices to minimize cataract development and correct your vision as needed. If you eventually need cataract removal surgery, we can support that procedure through pre-operative and post-operative care.
- Glaucoma - Glaucoma is caused by excessive fluid pressure within the eye, usually caused by poor drainage of excess fluid through the ducts of the iris. Over time this high pressure can cause permanent damage to the optic nerves, reducing your vision and potentially leading to blindness. We can usually control glaucoma with medicated eye drops and oral drugs. If a severe case requires laser surgery to improve eye drainage, we can co-manage that procedure.
- Macular Degeneration - Macular degeneration does not cause total blindness, but it can rob you of the central visual field that allows you to read, drive and recognize faces. This vision is provided by a region of the retina called the macula. The age-related condition that destroys this tissue, macular degeneration, can often be controlled through lifestyle changes and a nutritional protocol called AREDS2. We can treat more advanced macular degeneration with injectable medications.
- Diabetic Retinopathy - Diabetic retinopathy occurs when uncontrolled diabetes weakens the small blood vessels that nourish the retina, causing them to break and bleed. New, abnormal blood vessels then form (and bleed) in the eye. if you have this condition, we will urge you to get your diabetes under control first and foremost. Injectable drugs such as Avastin and Lucentis may help stop the proliferation of abnormal blood vessels.
- Conjunctivitis - Conjunctivitis (also called pink eye) is an infection and/or inflammation of the thin membrane that covers the conjunctiva of the eye and the inside of the eyelid. We can determine whether your conjunctivitis is being caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus or allergic reaction and prescribe the appropriate treatment to help you get over it more quickly.
- Blepharitis - Blepharitis is a chronic inflammation of the outer eyelids (where the eyelashes form) or the inside eyelid (near the tear glands). It may be cause by underlying eye or skin diseases, mites, poor contact lens hygiene, cosmetic use and other contributing factors. We may prescribe medications, nutritional supplementation, warm compresses and lifestyle adjustments to ease this condition.
Get Your Eyes Examined!
Some of the most dangerous eye diseases can steal your sight without your even realizing it. That's why you absolutely must schedule regular eye exams so we can catch and treat these conditions. Call 860-872-3348 today to schedule your eye exam at ProEye!